About Me: On Paper
I’m a communications consultant by day at True Story and a writer and poet by night. In 2003 I won the Young Communicator of the Year Award (CIPR) and have since won several other industry team awards and accolades from the CIPR and CIM.
- I’ve worked in food and travel communications for 15 years for both global and independent brands and businesses, living both overseas and in the UK
- I have a BA Hons in Public Relations
- On behalf of other brands, I’ve written hundreds of news, food, lifestyle, drinks and health stories for key consumer titles and national papers on and offline – coverage has appeared in titles such as The Guardian, The Observer, BBC online, The FT, Stylist, MSN, Daily Mail, Daily Mirror, Daily Star, Red, Vogue, Grazia, Marie Claire, Closer, Olive, Good Housekeeping, Woman &Home, BBC Good Food, Delicious, Vegetarian Living to name but a few
Editorial and Non-Fiction Writing Pursuits:
- When I lived in the Caribbean, I was asked to co-write a travel book about the Turks and Caicos Islands (to be published by Macmillan Publishers Ltd)
- I was also the Lifestyle Editor of a Caribbean women’s interest magazine, NU Woman magazine for three years (2009 – 2011)
- For almost a year, I was the entertainment contributor of the Turks & Caicos Free Press (2009)
- Sainsbury’s Magazine feature (July 2016): I was approached and commissioned by Sainsbury’s magazine to write a feature about local produce
- Interview on Share Radio (July 2016): I was asked to be guest on Share Radio’s Weekend programme talking about places to eat out in the region
- Caboodle food feature (Autumn/Winter 2015/16): I wrote a feature for Caboodle magazine about tea and foods that can be paired with different varieties
- I’ve also written by-lined articles for the Eastern Daily Press, including a double-page spread feature about Corporate Kissing (ooh er Missus) and in 2010 I was one of Evening News Norwich’s ex-pat bloggers
Creative Writing & Poetry:
- In 2013 I completed an MA in Creative Writing
- I’ve since been shortlisted for flash fiction, poetry and short-story competitions with the prestigious National Poetry Competition (2015) – I was one of 100 poets to be long-listed from 13,000 entries
- And also the Bridport Prize (2015 and 2014), Fish Publishing (2014) and Writing magazine (2011).
- I’ve recently put my novel writing on-hold to pursue a pamphlet in poetry. More coming soon…
True Story – Storytelling for Businesses
If you’d like to hire me, I charge a reasonable day and hourly rate. I can help you with your brand communications, feature writing, copy writing, storytelling and creative direction of your brand or business. I work as a freelancer in Norfolk and London, either from home or in your office. Email me Leah (at) TrueStoryPR.co.uk. Find me on twitter @TrueStoryPR or check out www.meettruestory.co.uk
Working with PRs – Blogger Outreach:
As the owner of Roots and Toots, I occasionally accept free products, tickets, services and other compensation. However, I will always give my open and candid view on products and state clearly where any item has been gifted. I may decide not to feature a post if do not think the product or service is suitable for my readership. I am particularly supportive of small companies and independent businesses.
My blog is less than a year old and has a healthy growth rate. Currently, at time of writing, I receive around 8,000 unique visitors each month. This has been verified by an independent source. I also have a combined following of 2,600 followers across Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
Sponsored Posts and Advertising:
I will work with selected likeminded partners and I will feature sponsored posts. These will always be clearly marked as “Sponsored” and I will declare any trips that are paid for by travel companies or tourist boards.
This is a personal blog written by me (Leah Larwood), unless there is a guest blog post, which states otherwise. All views, opinions and musings stated in Roots and Toots are my own.
I am a freelance communications consultant and copywriter by day and I work with many different food, lifestyle, drink and wellbeing brands. As a result, I occasionally will feature a blog post about a company or brand I am working with. This does not mean that I have been paid to do so – it’s through choice. Not every brand I work for will feature on my personal blog, only those that have likeminded attributes as outlined in my “About Me” section.