The ultimate party food at Halloween is ice cream. You know the drill – I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream. This Halloween take things up a notch and impress your friends with this freaky recipe.
This vegan Freakshake is better than its dairy counterpart. Not only doesn’t it taste just as decadent but there’s around 70% less saturated fat. Being plant based, it’s much kinder to the planet meaning that the ingredients you use won’t give you a fright this Halloween.
I created this recipe for Booja-Booja using its award-winning new Caramel Pecan Praline Ice Cream – caramel vanilla ice cream smoozled with salted pecan praline. It’s absolutely delicious by the bowl full and is the star ingredient for the ultimate vegan Freakshake. You can use any of Booja-Booja’s ice cream and chocolate varieties for this recipe. Happy Halloween folks, get your freak on!
300ml Booja-Booja Caramel Pecan Praline Ice Cream
200ml unsweetened almond milk
8-10 melted Booja-Booja Almond Salt Caramel chocolate truffles
1 tin of coconut milk
1 small banana
Chopped roasted hazelnuts, almonds or pecans
Salted caramel popcorn (optional)
Serves 2 (300ml sized glasses)
Place a tin of coconut milk in the fridge overnight
- Melt the chocolate truffles on a gentle heat in a ban-marie until melted (a saucepan of hot water with a heatproof bowl on top, containing your chocolate). Set to one side until cooled slightly.
- Then pour the melted chocolate down the side of the glasses, reserving around a third for the topping. Place in the fridge to cool
- Remove the coconut milk from the fridge, open the can and extract the cream which will have risen to the top. (You can use the leftover coconut milk for cooking.)
- Then gently whip up the coconut cream or if it’s a good thick consistency, use straight from the tin. Set to one side.
- In a blender whizz together the banana, Booja-Booja ice cream and the almond milk,
- Remove the chilled glasses from the fridge and pour in the milkshake mixture.
- Top with whipped coconut cream and drizzle on top the melted chocolate sauce, allowing the sauce to ooze over the edges of the glass. Add some chopped nuts, salted popcorn and pretzels, as desired.
For the ultimate gourmet hit, we’ve used our decadent artisan chocolate truffles for the sauce, but you can always use good quality plain chocolate instead (around 100g).