Following our recent trip to the Jerte Valley and Seville, I haven’t stopped making Spanish omelette. It’s super quick, vegetarian, costs only £1.86 to make – that’s 46p per serving – and truly tasty served with a rich glass of Rioja. Best served warm but it’s also great cold the next day in a packed lunch with some garlicky bean salad and pea shoots.
6 medium potatoes
7 eggs, whisked
I finely sliced onion
5 tbs olive oil
Fresh parsley, chopped
Sea salt and pepper
1) Peel and thinly slice the potatoes, quartering each slice.
2) Heat olive oil in a medium-sized frying pan on a low to medium heat. Fry the potato and onion for around 10 – 15 minutes, until the potatoes are only just cooked and the onion is soft. Do not allow the mixture to brown.
3) Remove from heat and pour the mixture into the whisked eggs until coated. Season.
4) Add some more olive oil to frying pan and then add the eggy potato and onion mixture back into the pan, making sure you press down the potato and egg mixture so the pieces are level and compact.
5) Cook for around 3 minutes on a medium heat. You can then either place under the grill so the top half cooks. Or you can flip onto a dinner plate, and turn back into the frying pan to cook the other side. Sprinkle on the top some finely chopped parsley.